My philosophy is that any yahoo with a credit card can buy a great bottle of wine when money's no object, so the excitement for me comes from finding a great value, and sharing it with you. After all, a terrific wine is made better when shared with friends. (Same with cocktails!)

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Aberlour 10 yr Single Malt Scotch



By the mists of Loch Ness, I like this scotch.

When I was about 14 my mom started getting into single malt scotches that were heavy on the peat. Then, a few years ago, an elderly acquaintance of mine started to introduce me to all kinds of scotch. Everyone knew he was a scotch fan, and would bring him bottles as gifts, which he would keep in a filing cabinet in his office. No kidding - verrrry old school. Each time I'd walk by his office he'd offer me a thimble full (ok, a mini paper Dixie cup full) of whatever was open. There was no way to refuse, and that's how I got familiar with the lighter, more floral, honeyed styles. He's since passed away, and ever since then I can't pass up a chance to try a new scotch, since I kind of feel like I'm carrying on the schooling he began.

Vanilla, orange, spice (cloves and cinnamon) honey, peat and oak on the nose. This scotch is smooth and creamy with a long spicy-sweet finish

No comments: