My philosophy is that any yahoo with a credit card can buy a great bottle of wine when money's no object, so the excitement for me comes from finding a great value, and sharing it with you. After all, a terrific wine is made better when shared with friends. (Same with cocktails!)

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Best of BC Fall Wine Releases






Tantalus
If you haven't tried their Old Vines Riesling, you're seriously deprived. There's no other way to say it. Get to your VQA Store and pick some up as soon as you can. Made from the oldest Riesling vines in the province, it has structure and complexity that other BC Rieslings envy. The trade knows this wine well, and consumers are in the know as well, voting it Wine of the Evening at the Chef Meets Grape event two years in a row. Jane and Heidy from Tantalus pose below with their Old VInes Riesling, moments after learning it was the crowd favourite.











Sandhill
Chardonnay - It's a well balanced Chard like this that makes me convinced the ABC crowd (Anything But Chardonnay) just hasn't had good Chardonnay.

Cab-Merlot - Jammy dark and red fruit with balanced tannins.

Syrah - One of my favourites with pipe tobacco and a touch of bacon. For $20 there'll be a lot of this going down at our place this winter. If it's this good now, I can't wait to see what a few more months of bottle age brings out. Wow!



See Ya Later Ranch
Brut - I love this sparkling with its fresh green apple flavours. It makes me want to invite you over for brunch just so I can serve it. It's bottle aged Chardonnay with a dosage of Gewurztraminer. No clue what that means? No worries, just check out my post on sparklings called "Champagne or Plain Jane" at http://beckysolomon.blogspot.com/2007/06/champagne-or-plain-jane.html

No comments: